Palm Beach State College Libraries offer customized library instruction sessions on each Campus. Instruction sessions address information literacy outcomes to develop competencies in:
To schedule instruction for your classroom, use this online form.
Palm Beach State College
Library Information Literacy Mission Statement
The Library Information Literacy Program at Palm Beach State College supports the instructional mission of the College and its General Education program. Information literacy is one of the College’s general education learning outcomes and is rooted in “the ability to find, evaluate, organize, and use information”. This definition is consistent with educational outcomes for the State of Florida and text from the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) Standards for Information Literacy.
The Library Information Literacy Program is an integrated, outcomes-based model of instruction that incorporates different forms of instruction at selective points in a student's academic career. The intent of the program is to achieve a tiered and coordinated approach to developing information literacy skills and a framework for lifelong learning. This approach incorporates information literacy and critical thinking with writing across the curriculum.
Specifically, the mission of the Library Information Literacy Program is to create an environment which:
· Provides formal and informal instruction to individuals and classes and mentors research skill development in person and through distance learning
· Offers students diverse learning opportunities in a variety of settings
· Promotes the ethical use of library and information resources in all formats
· Collaborates with colleagues from all departments and disciplines to integrate information literacy into academic programs
· Evaluates the effectiveness of our methods and programs on an ongoing basis, while continually updating and reviewing our own knowledge and skills
· Assesses a student’s ability to locate, evaluate, organize, and use information through formal and informal, library and college-wide initiatives and measurements
Palm Beach State College recognizes information literacy as a core competency for degree program graduates. The Library incorporates ACRL guidelines, standards and best practices for informaton literacy instruction.
American Association of Community Colleges recognizes information literacy as a core value of general education. Read the AACC position statement on information literacy. (2008)
American Library Association offers information literacy standards for student learning, resources for professional activities, and objectives for information literacy instruction.
ACRL Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education
ACRL Guidelines for Instruction Programs in Academic Libraries
ACRL Information Literacy Program Best Practice Characteristics
ACRL Information Literacy Standards for Higher Education
ACRL Objectives for Information Literacy Instruction