Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
General Information and Registration
- This test is also known as the Elsevier RN Admissions Assessment 'A2.'
- This test is required for application to Palm Beach State's Registered Nursing Program and Practical Nursing Program (LPN).
- It is a computer-based test.
- The cost of the test is $76 ($46 goes to Elsevier and $30 to PBSC proctoring).
- Visit the Testing Center webpage to register for the test (the test can be taken at Belle Glade, Palm Beach Gardens, Boca Raton or Lake Worth campus' Testing Centers).
- Students can take the entire HESI exam every 61 days, for a maximum of 3 times a calendar year (there is no 61 day wait to retake the Math portion only).
Information on how to register, how to pay, and how to create a student Evolve account can be found here:
Passing Scores and Test Content
- A minimum cumulative score of 80 with a minimum individual Math section score of 80 is required to be included in the RN applicant pool.
- A minimum cumulative score of 75 with a minimum individual Math section score of 75 is required to be included in the LPN applicant pool.
- A score of less than the above on this examination will prohibit entrance for this period.
- Reading Comprehension--Provides reading scenarios in order to measure reading comprehension, identifying the main idea, finding meaning of words incontext, passage comprehension, making logical inferences, etc.
- Grammar--Contains basic grammar, including parts of speech, important terms and their uses, commonly occurring grammatical errors, etc.
- Vocabulary and General Knowledge--Contains vocabulary terms that are commonly used in both general English-speaking settings and in health care fields.
- Biology--Covers biology basics, water, biological molecules, metabolism, cells, cellular respiration, photosynthesis, etc.
- Chemistry--Contains test items that cover matter, chemical equations and reactions, the periodic table, atomic structure, nuclear chemistry,
chemical bonding, etc.
- Anatomy & Physiology--Provides coverage of general terminology and anatomical structures and systems.
- Math--Focuses on math skills needed for health care fields, including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, decimals, ratio and proportion, household measures, general math facts, etc.
- Learning Style Inventory--Assesses preferred learning style.
- Personality Traits Profile--Assesses personality related to preferred learning style.